Sunday, September 11, 2011

Final thought on 9/11 ten years later.

Today, I took my family to a memorial where we got to feel a piece from the WTC. Taps on bagpipes would have got me as usual, probably harder than usual actually, except my little boy kept wanting to show me a leaf. His fascination with this leaf while hundreds around us were crying and in pain made me smile. I ruffled up his hair and kneeled back down to him.

After work I went to another memorial, this time without my family unfortunately. Surrounded by nearly 3,000 US flags brought tears to my eyes. But then I would think about that boy of mine showing me a leaf and I'd smile.

What am I trying to say? Maybe that it is okay to laugh today. I have read a lot of comments on the internet saying that 9/11 related cartoons and comics that are humorous are out of line. Well, I am not one of those people.   An innocent smile or a funny cartoon is not an insult to those who died and does not take away from the mourning that we are all experiencing.

That is why I chose to post one that is based on 9/11 but at the same time should make people chuckle to themselves. I urge you to go to http://cartoonistsremember911.com and see nearly 100 other cartoonists that took part in making a cartoon that commemorated 9/11 in some way. Most are sentimental, many attempt humor (some even achieved it), and some were flat out lame and/or contrived. But that's how any large group of cartoons go. You find your favorites, you skip the duds, and you repeat the next day.

Below are my three favorites from 9/11.

Never forget. Always smile.

-Derrick



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful commentary by a stellar cartoonist. You deserve to be syndicated, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for that. Very kind to hear.

    ReplyDelete